And once again, a Democrat challenger is engaging in false advertising. I imagine there's some truth in the ad --- for example, Jay O'Brien is the incumbent --- but the focus is on the abusive driver fees imposed by last year's transportation "compromise."
Barker's ad is simply silly. It's interspersed with unflattering pictures (in slo-mo!) of Senator O'Brien from a Committee of 100 debate a few weeks ago. Wondered who was filming it.
Among other things, Barker claims that abusive driver fees are imposed for "failure to use a turn signal." The problem? It's simply not true. It's easy enough to check: a quick visit to the DMV website demonstrates that fees are imposed only for:
- Driving on a suspended or revoked license - $250 each year for three years;
- Reckless or aggressive driving - $350 each year for three years;
- Driving while intoxicated - $750 each year for three years;
- Other misdemeanor convictions for driving and/or motor vehicle-related offense -$300 each year for three years;
- Any felony conviction for driving or motor vehicle-related offense - $1000 each year for three years.
Now, it took me about ninety seconds to confirm his information. The question is, why is George Barker lying?
And then there's the line in the end: "That's all we need to know."
A bad idea? Sure. One promoted by the Democrat Governor, and a "compromise" among a majority of legislators to pass the package. So, does George Barker oppose the compromise? Would he have voted against it? Barker doesn't tell us.
A one-note candidate. And this is the best the NoVA Democrats have to offer?!?!