Sunday, August 14, 2005

Johnny Smith for Prez?

Thanks to Norm over at One Man's Trash, via Instapundit, we learn that the MSM apparently missed the nascent candidacy of Christopher Walken for President in 2008.

I haven't heard whether Hitlary is packing it in, but clearly, she should.

Now, I suppose I could make fun of Walken for being an actor, but I voted for Reagan once (was too young to do so the first time), so that would seem disingenuous. Then there's the fact that his website offers much of the same pablum that most candidates do. 'Cept for his apparent contempt for the First Amendment, a dismaying position for an artist.

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought this was a great idea. After all, Walken played one of my favorite characters in one of my favorite Stephen King novels (one of his, too), Johnny Smith in The Dead Zone. It was the theatrical incarnation (Walken was really too old for the part), not the very good and very popular USA Network television series with Anthony Michael Hall. And Johnny Smith saved the world from nuclear Armageddon, by shooting at Martin Sheen ... er, Greg Stillson, who cravenly shields himself with a child (unfortunately, not the annoying kid on Two and a Half Men ... oh, wait, that's Charlie Sheen's show). And his ability to know a person's future by touching them would be an incredibly useful skill in foreign relations. And then, he could shoot all of those pretentious Hollywood leftists who are polluting the public square....

Oh, wait, I'm confusing the actor with a character he played. Never mind.

1 comment:

James Young said...

The only thing more entertaining might be Crispin Glover.